Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apHUB is currently only available for registered beta-testers.
If you are interested in participating in the beta-program, please leave a message in the "Why do you want to join?" field on the registration page.

What is apHUB?

apHUB is a suite of Applescripts, that transform Aperture into your central hub for storing your images and sending their master (RAW or JPEG) with a single keystroke to other image editors (currently Capture One, DxO OpticsPro in development) and getting them back with full behind-the-scenes handling of the external settings and mask files. Thus the whole process is non-destructive.
With the combination of apHUB, Aperture and Capture One and/or DxO OpticsPro you have an integrated Photo management and editing suite that is far superior to any currently existing single Photo management application!

Head over to the videos category and watch the other videos!

Installing apHUB

edited August 2015 in Installation & Setup
Update: This installation process is no more necessary. The new suite has an one-click installer app.
Please install Capture One and/or DxO before you install apHUB. The installer detects these programs and installs the approriate scripts.
Anyways please read the "Please read before you start" file in the suite. It tells you about the few steps you still have to do manually and explains the additional scripts within the suite.

Using apHUB is very easy. It is basically just pressing a keyborard shortcut.

On my System:
Option+CMD C to send the pictures from Aperture over to Capture One.
Option+CMD X to send the pictures from Aperture over to DxO.
Option+CMD A to send the pictures from Capture One or DxO back to Aperture, replacing existing edits if possible.
Shift+Option+CMD A to send the pictures from Capture One or DxO back to Aperture, always creating new "versions".

I write "version", because they are indeed new masters in Aperture but they are linked to their original master in Aperture. You don't have to care about this, just think of them as "versions".

Setting up apHUB is a bit more challenging but you have to do it only once.

Do yourself a favor and download FastScripts. It's free for 10 keyboard shortcuts but I'm sure, you'll buy a license once you got the hang of it. 
apHUB has been streamlined to make the roundtrip as seamless as possible and having to navigate menus to send the pictures back and forth IMO doesn't make sense. While you can use apHUB without FastScripts or even create your own Applescript shortcuts workflow with Automator actions i.e., this instruction assumes, you have installed FastScripts.

Download the ZIP file from the downloads category (when it will be available) or the beta-tester category (ask for a beta-tester account, if you are willing to participate).

Extract the ZIP to your desktop.

You will see a folder like this:

Move the files to the locations indicated by the red arrow. If a folder doesn't exist on your system, create it.
Open FastScript Preferences and set the keyboard shortcuts as shown in green above (or use your own).

For Capture One:

Open Capture One and create a new session document (important, it must be a session!). I suggest you name it apHUB but you can choose whatever name you like.

In the Finder ctrl or right click on the Output Folder of the newly created session and choose Services/Configure Folder Actions.

Choose Capture One -> Aperture (FolderAction) from the popup. Check Activate Folder Actions, if it is not checked already.

For DxO:

Create an Input and an Output folder somewhere on your harddrive.

In the Finder ctrl or right click on the Output Folder you've just created and choose Services/Configure Folder Actions.

Choose DxO -> Aperture (FolderAction) from the popup. Check Activate Folder Actions, if it is not checked already.

apHUB should work now in its default configuration.

Head over to the next post Customizing apHUP.

Happy apHUBING

Peter
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-13 um 16.16.08.png
647 x 1127 - 264K
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-13 um 16.56.20.png
700 x 1123 - 267K

Comments

• I always get confused with ~/Library. Is that "Macintosh HD/Library" or "[user]/Library"? Also, my system has "Applications Support/Aperture", is that the correct folder? 
  • I find myself confused by same question. there is a library application support folder, but o library applications folder. Should I be creating a new folder of use the library applications library support folder?
  • ~/Library is the (hidden) Library folder in your home folder. And yes, you shall create all missing subfolders there.
    According to apHUB it uses nothing inside Application Support.
  • I have created the folders and moved files, and now need to create the fastScript scripts. I don't find much documentation with fastScript so it isn't clear how to create a script or where to put it. I presume the script is meant to launch the script next to the green arrow, but i am not sure where to write it or the proper syntax. Unless there is better documentation I am not enthusiastic about purchasing the app.
  • I think I need to clarify my comment above. I have downloaded the scripts, installed apHUB, moved the script files into the required folders, started a session named apHUB in Capture One, configured the folder options for the session folder. 
    I don't get how to assign a fastScripts keyboard shortcut. If I click on the fast scripts menu bar icon I can go to preferences. The choices in preferences are:
    1) script menu which doesn't appear to have a keyboard shortcut edit option
    2) Script Shortcuts which displays the path to a folder titled /library/scripts. That contains a list of several categories of scripts including color synch; folder action scripts; folder actions and several others. Folder Action scripts lists several scripts with no short cuts none related to Capture One or DxO as does Folder Actions. There is no apparent way to add a new script or to edit shortcuts for the script.
    3) Registration - without documentation that isn't appealing
    4) Software update

I am unsure what I am missing but I don't see a way to generate a keyboard shortcut and point it at a script within FastScripts.